[PROMPT 10] #40: Final Prompt! - Reflecting on my Week 2 Challenge

"Look back and reflect upon the challenge you set for yourself in your Week 2 blog post [(First blog prompt)]. What do you think about that challenge now? How did you go? Has it proved valuable to have that challenge in mind? Or not? What is the next challenge you might/would like to set for yourself as a writer?"

The challenge I set for myself was to actively check out my colleagues' blogs and comment on them. It emerged from a history of hype-aversion thanks to other people, a little bit of selfishness thrown in, and an extreme avoidance of wanting to feel like I'd wasted my time.

I don't think I've quite satisfied this challenge. I've so badly wanted some spare time to sit down and look through everybody's blogs during this semester. But I've tended to simply use it for myself, winding down after assessments or just plain procrastinating.

It's not as though I've entirely failed it. Yes I check out my colleagues' blogs. I tend to first zip to my friends, like Shane, Neil, Juno and Rhianna. Then I either wander through them randomly, skipping from one end of the alphabetical order, like from Violette to Rachel, or in proper alphabetical order. Angus and Beau is kinda where I stop and get a bit distracted by something else that's come up, though... if I don't comment, then it's more so reading and stalking. Yeah.

It's definitely been in the back of my mind. "Go and read your classmates' blogs, come on, you haven't done it in a while..." I feel guilty about not being as hyper proactive as I've wanted to be. Especially in the past week or so, more just reacting to people's comments on mine rather than checking out theirs. Damn final assessment tasks.

Was it a valuable challenge? For sure. I am interested in my classmates, and being able to work with them over the course of the semester, especially people whom I don't know very well or have never met -- such as Miriam, Joey, Angus, Beau and Brayden -- has been incredibly enjoyable. I aim to have a more open mind when it comes to other people's interests. Responding a bit more positively indeed. I just wish I could've actually completed it. But it's like me, to set impossible goals. Admittedly, I did acknowledge towards the end of my post that I didn't think I'd have enough time to perform complete rounds on people's blogs everyday and comment on every post, and it could be excused a bit more in the assessment crunch time we're in right now, but I just wish I did better. I want to go back and check out everyone's blogs in the upcoming break, even if it is outdated. I don't know if I'd want to leave comments but I wouldn't restrict myself from doing so.

I don't think there's been any intimidation that their blogs are better than mine, or whatever. It's been quite equal. In fact, I've more so just been curious. Clicking on random pages, maybe with titles I don't even understand, like on Jake's blog or Ewen's lyric ones have still been enlightening. I got to know more about them as a person, and that's one of the results I wanted to achieve by setting myself this challenge.

The next challenge, huh? I want to submit to publications over the course of the upcoming break period. I definitely want to work on my own personal projects first, such as that fangame I want to make, really fleshing out the characters in that one, and art, but submitting to publications would be a great thing for me to do. Little projects here and there. Get my name out there. Yeah. I was mighty impressed by the list Jenny had in her bio, I hope to have a bio like that too, with all the places that my writing's been to (until it gets shortened with only the most impressive of places). I wouldn't mind writing nonfiction pieces as well, I think that's opened up a big alternate route to me than just fiction.

Ah. Another one. Actually write for my own blog, ehehe. That one's been on such a big hiatus thanks to this semester. I'd love to release a post every Sunday. Progress on my fangame, ideas on the story I want to write, review on a piece of media.

Not really sure what else to say for this one, ehehe. Talk about a lame outro. Last post, so uh, I guess this is see ya til next time? Catch ya later, alligators. I hope us Plague Wanderers have found the destination we were searching for in this course.

-Katie, the (perhaps ex-)Plague Wanderer.

Comments

Popular Posts