First Pages Proofreading - A Moral Way to Cope (30/09)

In Retrospect 25
This is an extract from [CLASS] #37: Wednesday September 30th Class. It was uploaded on the correct day, so this post will have an upload time a little after it in order for them to appear chronologically in the blog list of posts. In this class, Rhianna and I exchanged the First Pages version of our pieces (meaning they were typeset as they would appear in the book). I added in the segment featured in this post today (09/10/20) to add the details of what I specifically did during the class. I also realised an extra proofreading error I didn't pick up at the time.

------------------------------

There were a few proofreading edits I made to my piece.

  • I wanted to be referred to as "Katherine Dawn Manalo" in the piece, as "Katie" is merely a nickname.
  • "Whether that’s a “positive” effect of being in lockdown is yet to be determined" -- The word positive needed to have single quotation marks rather than double, to align with the BSP style guide.
  • "cuddling friends every hello and goodbye, holding hands or linking arms while  walking  and  eating  and  studying  together  at  university." -- There needed to be a comma after the word walking.
  • "I planned to treat any possible meet-up only as a reward to finish my assignments" -- The phrase "to finish" should be changed to "for finishing".
  • "I persuaded him to put his hot meal in with mine in a paper bag" -- The word "in" should be taken out.

(09/10/20) I've realised with horror that there's a single double quotation mark I forgot to highlight as an error. On page 110, the sentence "I asked if he was "excited" at all." has double quotation marks when there should be single marks surrounding the word excited, to fit with the BSP style guide. Sent an email just now alerting Carly. Hopefully this doesn't become a lingering error in the final document.

(11/10/20) Have confirmed that she picked it up and it was fixed.

Comments

Popular Posts