[PROMPT 1] #3: First Blog Prompt - Challenging Oneself
I want to challenge myself in this course by... actively checking out my colleagues' blogs and commenting on them.
This... seems like a strange challenge, doing what appears to be a naturally expected part of the course, but being interested in other people's work is something I'm strangely reluctant to do. Although I care about my fellow writers and my friends, I rarely make the full step to check out their work or investigate anything they recommend me.
I discussed this in the final assessment task of Creative Writing: Specialisation in semester 1 of this year. I said this came ultimately from an extreme aversion to feeling as though I've wasted my time. I think another part of it emerges from not wanting to acknowledge my 'competition', and also, what guarantee do I have that they'll even check out my work in return anyway?
But since attending the public events for that assignment (Ronnie Scott's book launch and ACMI's Virtual Cinematheque respectively), I've come to realise that these are opportunities to learn, whether it be about the individual, some cool general facts or an intriguing perspective on a topic I've never thought of before.
It also makes no sense why I wouldn't be open to checking out my friends' work. I browse through online comics, Netflix shows and movies, plus Youtube videos. I'm viewing content made by other creators. Is the only difference of 'quality' between them that they're published with a larger audience or something?
Checking out the blogs I feel is a smaller, digital-scale form of networking. I was embarrassingly introverted at last year's anniversary celebration of RMIT's Creative Writing program, so God forbid the day I'll be eventually invited to a bigger event with more industry professionals. I don't know how I'll be able to gain someone's interest in my writing, let alone strike a deal to create something in the future.
But I was watching the Game Grumps on Youtube one day, and Dan Avidan shared a really helpful mindset to have when networking. It's not to feel like a greedy hunter looking for people to be interested in your work, or maybe being overwhelmed by feeling like you have nothing to give and must take from others who give opportunities. It's to believe that you have something of value to give and share (hence why you were invited in the first place!) and you're looking to make some connections and friends, and exchange those talents and ideas with.
Even though reading and commenting on online blogs isn't the same as networking at a live or digital event, my aim is to become more proactive in approaching others and coming out of my shell bit by bit. I aim to be more reciprocal, encouraging and interested in my fellow writers' work and ideas. This will help me to become a more collaborative writer and curious individual, which will help better me as a person. I don't think I'll have enough time to perform a complete round on everyone's blogs every day and comment on every post, but I want to challenge myself to do this as frequently as I can. After all, there's nothing more encouraging for a writer than knowing your words are reaching someone out there who is taking the time to respond and is eager for more.
-Katie, the Plague Wanderer

This is a fantastic challenge to set for yourself! As writers we learn just as much by reading as we do by writing. And there is something infinitely juicy about consuming writing from a voice that is still finding itself. Like when you see how hard it was to bake the cake, so you appreciate every bite even more when it's finally cooked and served up.
ReplyDeleteIt can be tough not to think of other classmates as "competition", but ultimately when it comes to writing everyone has a different style, a different voice. If the entire class were to write about ducks, no ones piece would match yours. Because what we create is personal, and that means it stands on its own. Sure, some pieces may get picked up for publication while others fade into obscurity . . . but it's not because the piece is "better", it's just that the piece grabbed a particular editor. Writing, like all art, is subjective.
Networking is terrifying, if this "digital networking" makes for good practice then it will have all been worth it.